Getting pregnant and having a baby will change your life. In fact, the change is so significant you should be able to plan when you want to have a family. That's where contraception comes in. Your OBGYN doctor can help you choose a contraception method that is right for you. The OBGYN doctors at Advanced Women’s Healthcare in Bloomington, IL, offer comprehensive obstetrics and gynecology services, including contraception choices.
What You Need To Know About Contraception
Contraception, commonly known as birth control, comes in many different forms. Our OBGYN doctor is an expert in contraception and can help you make the right choice for your lifestyle. You can choose from:
- Birth control pills-they offer convenience, and portability, and are highly effective. They release hormones that will prevent pregnancy
- Skin patches-they offer the convenience of not having to take a pill daily and are easy to use
- Vaginal rings-they offer portability and a specific release of hormones only when they are inserted into the vagina
- Birth control injections-they offer the convenience of one injection every 3 to 6 months
- Birth control implants –they offer the convenience of long-lasting birth control for up to 3 years
- Intrauterine devices-they offer the long-lasting convenience of effectiveness up to 3 to 5 years if the IUD contains hormones, and up to 10 years if the IUD contains copper
- Condoms-they offer the added benefit of protection against sexually transmitted diseases
When you are choosing a type of contraception, it’s important to consider:
- Your lifestyle-including level of activity and exercise, and your sexual and social habits
- Your medical history including history of blood clots, stroke, and vascular problems
- Your ability to form a habit-including remembering to take a pill or insert a contraceptive device
Want To Know More?
To find out more about types of contraception and what contraception is right for you, call our OBGYN doctors at Advanced Women’s Healthcare in Bloomington, IL. You can reach them in the office by calling (309) 808-3068, so call today.